This week was another one that I will never forget! So many things happen in a week, day, month, and year of a missionary it is impossible to remember it all! Thanks to Mikin for always being an example to me of writing in a journal, so that I can remember some of the goodness! I am starting on my fifth in the mission, and keep on writing baby. It is something that I would like to give to my children, and have them pass them down through the generations. They will have an idea what it is like to serve a mission, the ups and downs, and what its like to be love sick. But seriously. I would like to thank Mikin though for her example and influence. Also to Kate for throwing down the big bucks on my leather capped, gold embroidered paged, engraved name, sweet journals! Just wait till I get home, you will all love them!
So this last Sunday was one of the most memorable, and spiritual ones I have had on the mission without a doubt. It all started in our gospel principles class sitting by my investigators. Helping them, and teaching the gospel is so touching. I have this unexplainable desire to serve them, teach them, and give them anything they need. I look at them and I think how I can return to the presence of my Heavenly Father without this person, or family. Each is special, each are sons and daughters of our Heavenly Father and he loves them dearly. When you have these thoughts, and this love everything changes. You begin to put yourself second, third, or fourth on the list, and you search for the happiness of others. Anyways, I felt this love, and this desire as I looked into the eyes of my investigators, taught them about fasting and then bore my testimony of it. I realized that the gospel has the power to change the lives of anyone. It changes the desires of your heart, your passions, your love, your priorities, your thoughts, your being. What a stunning change! The love and desire to serve your neighbor becomes what you worry about, and the source of your ecstasy and bliss. My prayer is that each of us pass for this change of heart, of being. (Ref. Alma 5)
Second,In the sacrament meeting, I tried something I have never done before, and something I never thought about until the moment I felt the motivation to do it. This is to close my eyes while I listened to the testimonies. (I.e. I didn’t sleep!) As I did this I became overwhelmed with the spirit, and the words testified bore solemn witness to me of the divinity of the Father and the Son. I felt the true comfort of the Holy Ghost, and the reassurance it brings of spiritual truths. I was able to feel, as Dusty felt in his mission, the truthfulness and comprehension of five spiritual pillars: Heavenly Father lives and loves us, Jesus Christ is the savior and redeemer of all mankind, Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, the Book of Mormon is true, and that Thomas S. Monson is the living prophet in these latter-days. As I pondered these five points, I began to analyze each carefully. I know that it is because my wonderful mother that I have been blessed to come to know the veracity of these things. Also from the superb example of my father, and many others that surround me and have surrounded me throughout my life. Thanks to each of you. You know who you are. Following this spiritual overwhelming I bore my testimony of this knowledge, and its truthfulness. I considered that moment, and the testimony which I bore a significant spiritual landmark in my life. I know that the gospel is true and it is the knowledge that leads mankind unto salvation and exaltation. Later that night we had a devotional with a guy from Recife, who is the head guy for the institute program for northern Brasil. He spoke of the Atonement of our Savior. His words moved me, his testimony pierced my heart. I received a confirmation that His sacrifice was infinite. I cannot begin to explain the feelings which fill my soul as I ponder his love, and his willingness to subject himself to his father in such a selfless sacrifice. Yet again I totally felt the presence of our savior by my side, and his arms literally wrapped around me. He lives.
Yesterday morning while I was doing my personal study I received a phone call from a recent convert, Douglas. His father is the one who was in the hospital and is the one which I had the opportunity of blessing last week. He uttered the words, ´´meu pai faleceu…´´ A couple times in my life I have felt the shock which immediately followed. There is no physical pain which pierces you with such a strong pain as that of a friend or loved one passing away. For sure the Plan of Salvation offers the comfort needed, but sudden loss is tragic. I passed by his house and offered my love and support. His sister fainted, and I ended up giving basic medical help also. My mind turned to the spiritual reassurance that families can be together forever. From that point on my soul was calmed and my thoughts became bright. Families are forever. I felt the impression that each one of us need to hug the ones we love a little more often, offer a hand, give a kiss, and tell them you love them. I know that we always think that bad things only happen to the neighbor, but we are all exposed to loss. We must prepare ourselves if we can…I am so excited for the chance I have to talk to you guys this Sunday. It will be the last time I will communicate with you all until I return from the mission. Yes I know it’s hard to believe, but it’s true when people say two years passes fast when you’re having a blast! It’s coming to an end. I want you all to know I love you! Thank you for your prayers, and thoughts. Thank you for your examples. Thank you for your patience. Your influences have a great affect on me. Thank you!Elder Gatten love you guys!
13 years ago

1 comment:
Hello there!
I love your son's letters, and I hear he's coming home soon! Where did the time go, right?
Hey I'm having a little blog giveaway thingy. I hope you'll stop by!
:~D
Post a Comment