Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Family, and Friends,
Just to get some things out of the way, I would like you all to know that I am doing fine and feeling better. I am not one hundred percent, but I am making it. I feel weak, like post flu, but besides that I am in the streets working and teaching. That is what is most important. I am so thankful for your prayers in my behalf, there is no doubt in my mind that they were heard and answered. I want to thank you all! Oh ya, sorry for the scare too, I didn’t mean for this to happen or to have you all feel bad for me, I just was getting worried and told you finally. It was funny last weekend when I was in my interview with president, and he asked me is I had been communicating with my family regularly, and I told him yes, and bore my testimony about the blessing I feel like I have received from it. A little bit after he began to laugh hysterically! He said that my mother had called his wife and they talked for a while. He said that mom was worried about me and that she wanted to know my situation. He said that Sister Jayme loves mom, she seems like an awesome lady. I can totally imagine them being friends, mom and her, because they are both funny and organized etc. I felt a bit embarrassed talking to president about my problems, but I am glad that I did, and my problems are getting better. I don’t know the name of the medicine, but I will get you the name of it dad next week.
This week is the last week of the transfers. I find out if I will be getting transferred this Saturday, and the meeting and actual transfer is always on the following Tuesday really early in the morning. So maybe next week I will be coming to you all from another area with another companion. I really like my area, everything seems to be working. We have really begun working hard, and have received some references of families this past week. Yesterday we marked four baptisms and a marriage for the end of the month. So, you can not see why I hope that I stay. Ha! We have started to build our teaching circle up, after starting from scratch a couple weeks ago. We are teaching men, families, and people who really have the desire to know more about the gospel, and progress to the point of baptism. I am so thankful for the blessings that I am receiving and for the love I feel from my savior. I know that nothing can frustrate the work, it will go forth triumphantly.
Yesterday, I received a call on my cell from Mácio, the family that we live with. They are ridiculously awesome by the way. He said that he needed our help, and said that we need to do more service projects anyway. So we met him at his mother’s house, and he was using a pick to break somewhat hard cement in the street. Well what happened is that his mother is building a little shop thing in the back of he house, and had a cement truck come and pour cement in the middle of the road. Well they ended up having more cement than they needed so we had to go get the rest that was almost dry, break it up, mix it with water, and put in wheel barrels so carry a mile away to his house. Talk about some kind of service project at nine o´clock at night! So I rolled up my white sleeves and flipped my tie over my shoulder and went to work like I was raised how. Baby I showed them Brazilians how we do construction. I would have made Brett proud if he was there. It was good to get the workout in carrying wheel barrels of cement miles back and forth, making five trips in a couple hours. I think that I gained the members confidence on that one!
I am in high spirits, and totally feel like I am in the prime of the mission. I have such a desire to just go out day in and day out and call everyone to repentance! No, but seriously work hard, and help my fellow men. I find joy teaching the gospel, and really bearing my testimony of the things that I know are true. For example, one family that we are teaching, Guilmar and Joséilton, had one of their good friends and pastor of the Universal Churches. We told the family that we were going to review the first lesson again for the benefit of their pastor friend. We began teaching, and I could feel the spirit strong. The man was paying attention, and actually didn’t ridicule us. Towards the first vision I was to the point where I didn’t feel like I was teaching the lesson anymore. I totally felt like an instrument in the hands of my father in heaven. Like I don’t know how to explain the feeling, I could feel the spirit testifying to the man the veracity of the things of which I was teaching him. At the end of the lesson and after bearing my testimony to him, he bowed his head, and took a deep breath. I asked him is he any questions of that which we had taught him, or is he would like any part clarified, and he said no. I believe everything that you just taught me. I felt different, thank you for the lesson. So, after we gave him a Book of Mormon, and he left, not wanting to mark a return appointment. I know that he felt the spirit. There is no doubt in my mind that the spirit testified to him the truth of the Restoration. When we open our mouths, and share what we know, the Holy Ghost testifies to the hearts of those which you are teaching.
At times in life we feel alone, left out, incapable, or unworthy. Although these feelings are natural, they don’t come from our heavenly father. I refer to the Doctrine and Covenants in the 121 section, where Joseph Smith is in Liberty Jail in Missouri. He, being a prophet of the lord felt the same way we do sometimes in life. He felt as is he could not carry the burdens of the world anymore. The persecution was at a peak, and things did not look to well, no light at the end of the tunnel. In about the seventh verse the lord responds to the prayer of his beloved servant and prophet. He tells him to calm his soul, that the lord is with him and that his burdens and sufferings of him and his people will be but a moment. What comfort that brought to Joseph as he was at the point of denying everything. I think sometimes, we feel as Joseph did, weak, worthless, unworthy, and alone, but like the lord reassured him and each of us, he is always there. He knows us, he loves us, and he extends his hand to all. I know that the lord loves me, you, and all of his children. We receive his blessings according to our obedience. When life gets tuff we turn to our knees, and supplicate to him who knows us, and our situation better than we.
I love the gospel, and my Savior Jesus Christ. I love the scriptures, and the comfort, guidance, and knowledge with in which are held. I am so thankful for a loving Heavenly Father, and my family he has blessed me with. May we find ourselves on our knees thanking him more often, and thus receive more blessings. I love the work, you all, and my Savior.
Have an awesome week, and know that I am thinking of you all! Thanks for your prayers, and your effort to share the gospel with those around you. You effort to become a better member missionary in the ward where you are, will be a huge blessing to you now and in the future.
With my love,
Elder Gatten

1 comment:

Heather and Don said...

Hi Jean! Spike (Elder Gatten) sounds great - sorry to read that he was sick and glad that he is on the mend. To answer your question, Brad (Elder Duffy) is doing very well and loving his mission. He was just transferred to Ensenada after being in the heart of Tijuana for 6 months! He is loving the people, Spanish language and teaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I love your family picture!

mom