Wednesday, August 5, 2009

I love to read letters too!

What is up everyone? I hope that you’re all doing awesome, and that you have had a sweet week! The days just keep flying by, the weeks come and go, and the months pass before you know it… three more to go. It is awesome to hear how mom and dad are doing every week, and to hear their charming stories and highlights. I think it would be even better if I heard from all of you, and knew that you guys were alive. Sometimes I think that there in the United States they have had a huge call back on every computer ever made, and that they band the use of them, because I never get e-mails from the ones I love dearly. It is not just you guys either, it is me, but my time is limited. I have a time limit, and rules I have to obey, but you guys are blessed to live normal lives, and have free access to the internet, and thus the world. If it does not mess your week up to bad, maybe you guys could jot a note down for me and let me know how you are all doing. The summer is almost over, and it has been four months since I have received a letter from anyone. I understand though, before you know it another week has gone by and you have forgotten about your little bigger brother in Brazil. I expect to hear from you guys the next couple weeks!If I am not mistaken today is Brett’s birthday!! He is getting another year older and deeper in debt, how do you feel about that big brother? Sad, but the truth! I have learned here on the mission that every joke has an at least a little bit of truth behind it. But don’t worry too much; I don’t think anyone is to the stage of saying gee your looking good yet Brett. I love you man, and you know that I think about you a lot. I look up to you; you’re a strong man physically, and spiritually. Your will is unbreakable, and the stars are not even the limit for you man. I am fully convinced that if Brett wanted to do anything in his life, he would succeed! Happy Birthday big brother, I love you and miss you. I heard that you guys have been picking some huckleberries these days there at the house. Pick a lot, because when I go home I am going to be on a strict pancake, and milkshake huckleberry diet! Ha! Maybe a pickle or two also, there are some weird things that I miss that I forget even exist.My week was crazy as you guys can probably guess. Traveling a ton, and just taking care of my sheep here…oh these sweet little darling missionaries. They are not quite the angels that you think they are, or their parents think they are. We have to remember that they are still in their early twenties, and love to be independent. It is an unforgettable experience being about to work with so many missionaries, I am making so many friends! I am making it so much harder on myself when I leave this place, I will have to leave behind so many sweet relationships. I had a couple conferences this last week, and had the opportunity of training tons of missionaries! I spent the first part of the week working on the computer planning slide shows, and demonstrations…they turned out awesome. I love public speaking, and presenting. English, presenting, and things like this are not exactly things that I love, but I do good at, and I can really edify others. I spoke on the importance of accompanying the lessons we teach to investigators, and helping them keep their promises, and future covenants. It was such a sweet opportunity to grow as a person, and spiritually.I always have the opportunity to have lunch with president here, and to talk with him. I was telling him a little bit about our family, and he was totally surprised with everything that our family does. We not only have callings, and work responsibilities, but also partake in so many recreational activities. He enjoyed hearing especially about the white water rafting, and the hunting. I don’t know if I have told you but he is a physicist and was a professor at BYU-Hawaii for years after working at a world renowned scientific firm. He loves our family and sister jayme cannot wait to meet mom and dad. She is such a bubbly person, and totally reminds me of mom!My companion is in his closing weeks of his mission, and will be returning to São Paulo to get married. Everything is already ready for him there. He will be getting released in the Temple there, and will be married, and sealed the next session. He continues to work though although he has so much on his mind. Just think about what is going threw this guys head…i would rather not ask him. I love working with him, he is a focused missionary, and knows how to touch peoples lives. I realize that miracles happen in our lives daily. The lord is by our side, and continues to bless us according to our obedience to his commandments. I love the scripture in dc 88:84. The promises that the lord has made with the son of men are so great, and are numberless. Sometimes I wonder if we truly put our faith in his promised blessings. Do we exercise our faith in him, in his son’s atonement, and in his eternal plan of happiness? Are we sharing the knowledge that we have of the gospel with others, or are we selfishly withholding the salvation of some unknown person in our hands? The miracles do not happen, until after the proof of our faith. I love this gospel, and know, and have seen it bless hundreds of people’s lives as I have ushered them into the waters of baptism. Everything starts with our desire, opening our mouth, and nourishing the saviors lost sheep. May we all open our mouths and spread the good word of the restoration of the savior’s primitive church. I know that if we do so the lord will open the windows of heaven and shower blessing upon our lives, and our homes. I love you all, and am praying that each of you this month, the month of august, can open your mouths and each have a missionary experience. Do you have the courage?Elder Gatten Ps..i want each of my siblings to and kate, if you could, write me a e mail and tell me your personal conversion story… it will strengthen my faith and will help me continue to work hard. Plus I will be using them in a couple trainings I will be giving here in the next three weeks, when a councilor of the area presidency comes to visit the mission. ….don ‘t forget! Loves!

No comments:

mom