Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Words of wisdom from Spike

There are people who exist in our lives that we need to remember so that we never forget. But there exist people who we never need to remember because they are truly unforgettable. I feel this way about everyone here in the mission. From my friends, to families, to companions, to president and sister; how will I ever leave this place? Friendships are so fragile, and everything starts with trust. Service is another important element, and service never falters. Like our Savior Jesus Christ; he came to this world to serve, not to be served. I love these people, because I serve them, I believe in them, I desire their salvation, I teach them, I help them in the hardest times in life, I desire their happiness, I seek their needs, and most importantly I have their trust.
I had a crazy week full of ups and downs, in and outs, and whatever exists. My companion Elder Cardoso went home Monday night; the first companion of mine that I have sent home. It was hard seeing him go, being such a good friend, and seeing everything come to what seems like an end. When will I ever see him again? I have made friends here that will be my friends for forever. Crazy thing that happened though. Monday night when, after I said bye to all the missionaries that were going home, I got a call from the Executive Secretary when I had just got home. He was calling me back to the mission house because the missionaries had missed their flight! I could not believe it. I got a taxi back, and spent the whole night calling Salt Lake communicating with them about the situation, and trying to buy new tickets for nine missionaries. It was quite the deal I have to say doing the translation, and being in such a tight spot. The mission ended up spending forty five thousand reais$ extra buying tickets at the last second for them to get home. I called and informed all of their families too….so I did not get any sleep whatsoever. That morning we had transfers and I got my new companion from the airport, Elder Perry. He was in Rondônia, which is on the boarder of Bolivia. He is from South Jordan, Utah, and has 1yr 8mo. on the mission. He is a great missionary, and really diligent. I will be training him to be an area zone leader, and it’s likely that he will be taking my spot when I go home. It will be an awesome six weeks with him; I know that I will learn a lot with him. We have six baptisms this week too, and will be doing a couple weddings in the next month. Things are so busy. We have Area Zone Leaders council this next Tuesday, and then divisions with missionaries all next week. Tons of things to do. I am so grateful for the Holy Ghost who literally leads and guides this work through all of the hectic times we have here. The zones that we are responsible for are doing amazing. The missionaries are doing a great work, and things are happening that have never happened before. We are baptizing so many men and families, and the stakes here have already divided three times in the last year. The missionary work is booming, and the members are helping so much. We are making all of our goals, and we are receiving answers to our prayers. Miracles are happening in the Brazil Manaus Misson, I am so humbled to be a part of it.
I love each of you, and I think of you when time permits. Ha! Seriously though. I have a testimony that the Lord uses each of us to the capacity of that which he has blessed us with. He asks for so much some times, as people think, but, although we may be giving it our all it is still not enough. This work is so sacred; it is salvation. I love each of you dearly, and am thinking of you during this elephant ear time. You are all special to me, and I thank my Heavenly Father to have each of you in my life. President Jayme informed me this morning that a mother of a missionary in my zone passed away last night, and he wants me to have the missionary go with me to his house tonight to have a talk about the plan of salvation. Life is fragile, now is the time for us to prepare ourselves, because we never know if tomorrow will ever come like it says in Alma 34. I love you all so much….I hope you enjoy the pictures!Elder Gatten

No comments:

mom