Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Hey guys it sounds like things are going awesome there! I received a ton of e mails, and I was really pumped to hear from you. I do not have much time to write this week though as I spent time deep cleaning our house because all the others are slackers. So I have a half hour.I love to hear that people are killing elk this year. Mike park got a nice bull, and I saw a picture of Tyler's friends bull. Ya, I have to say it makes me a little trunky, but also it seems unreal. Like its not that time of year, and the world back at home does not exist. But whatever.Tim had a nice wakeboarding wreck I heard, and got a concussion. That is totally tight, I miss doing extreme things. President cut off all kinds of sports here in the mission it is ridiculous. We cannot even play pingpong. Funny. But I am continuing to work out. I am becoming Rocky on the jump rope. I am totally doing it every night sweating like a pig, then I do 400 push ups and then crunches and that junk. It feels good and everything, but its like I don't feel like it helps. So thanks mom for not sending candy cause you don't want me to get fatter than I already am. Sad. Aj is going to get his surgery this week too huh. That will be awesome for him. I am fasting for him tomorrow. i hope that everything goes as planned and he improves. Thinking about you brother.This next week is general conference. I am totally pumped. We have tons of investigators going,. It starts at noon here then the second session at four. But ya I cant wait.We had transfers yesterday. I stayed here in this area but I did receive a new companion. Elder prado went to a different area. My new comp is elder Sobreira. Another Brazilian, I am going to be pro at the language in not to long if president keeps giving me Brazilian companions. Anyways he is from reborn preto. A city north of sao Paulo. He comes from a family of 15 kids and he is number 13. all from the same parents and all active in the church. Is is tall and cool. We taught yesterday for the first time and marked 4 baptisms and taught 21 lessons. It was powerful. I really feel the spirit around him like no other companion. He is really cool, and is from the group of my other companion elder saucedo. My trainer.I AM still teaching English here. We are like 8 weeks into it and it is going awesome. The other group of missionaries have baptized 4 people just because of the class so it is a good tool I guess. Also I am teaching a couple investigators in their houses. It is really fun and I am learning a lot about English I did not even know.We have not gone to the schools yet. I don't think we will end up going because they are putting a ton of rules on what we can and cant do. One is that we cant wear our name tags. So it wont work out.Besides this there is nothing to new here. Just thinking that next month I will have a year in the mission. Then it is all down hill. I am totally in a grove. I love it all, the mission that is. I am just working my tail off and talking with everyone. There is a scripture that I found in d c that says that you don't have to run from one area to another looking for people to teach, because there are souls to save that are standing at your side. It is so true. So I am totally talking with everyone. Dads and kids, families, and just everyone I feel prompted to talk to. I love sharing the gospel it is such a privilege. Seriously like I just love sharing what I believe. I am not afraid of it, cause I know that the gospel is true, I know that Joseph was called of god, I know that this is the ONLY true church on the earth. There is only one father, one faith, one correct form of baptism like we can see in Ephesians. I love the gospel. I thirst to see others accept it and to change their lives. I am so full of the spirit. You know that feeling that you get when you go up and you bear your testimony in sacrament meeting that is how I feel every second of the day. I am constantly bearing testimony of what I know is true. I love it. Its like I am above the mist of darkness of the world, I am held fast upon the iron rod, and I can literally feel the influence of the spirit in my life and the help of the saviour. What a blessing. The presence of the spirit is everything, make your homes a place where the spirit can dwell. It starts with our words, actions thoughts, and our true desire to follow the savior and his teachings. I love you all. have a sweet week. Have fun with the mlb playoffs and carry pass along cards with you. I know and I promise that the lord is preparing someone that only you can touch and only you can convert. I bear witness of this, and the love that comes from opening your mouth and filling the ears, minds, and hearts of those who are found wondering in an empty world. Keep your head up..shoot straight.
The one and only
Elder spike gatten

1 comment:

Dawna and Matt said...

Sister Gatten-
I saw you got onto my blog, Welcome, and thank you for your sweet comments. I had no idea you had one and that you post Spike's letters, how fun. Can't wait to read more.
Dawna Caudle

mom