Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Adding to the Priesthood through Baptisms


Hey! It sounds like everyone is busy with life, and are running around doing a ton of stuff. That is sweet, it is summer, and you guys have to take advantage of it there, because it is only warm a couple months out of the year. I cannot believe that I will be going home in the snow. I will die, seriously, I don’t know how I will handle it. It was nice to hear that you are out huckleberry picking and getting up in the mountains too. That is something that I miss so much. I love studying the scriptures, and reading about the prophets, and how they always went to the tops of mountains because it was basically a temple back in the day. Interesting to think that, but I feel like that many times when I am out in nature, and looking down on the beautiful land in which I live. Truly mountains are temples!
This week was super busy as always here. I feel like I am back in school, and have a thousand things to do, and due dates, and so much responsibility. I am so nervous now, and have so many things on my mind. I get irritated a little bit faster and my patience seems to be shortening. I guess when you have to take care of so many things, and so many missionaries it is hard repeating yourself, and seeing missionaries treat their missions like a two year trip to see the world. I am so glad though that I have the time to serve so many people that is the only difference I have found. The more responsibility that I receive, the more I have to forget myself and serve others. I was reading in the new testament and I read that Jesus Christ came to earth not to be served but to serve. That is our purpose also, to forget ourselves, and to serve our neighbors. Like it says in the scriptures, when we are in the service of our fellow beings, we are in the service of our god. I love this opportunity that the lord has blessed me with to serve so many people.
This week we have been doing so much, and have had the opportunity to work with many missionaries. Each is so different, and each have a different aspect of the mission. I study Doctrine and Covenants so much, section 121, to help me in my position. We have been doing inventories of the missionaries houses, and working with the apartment owners to move the missionaries out of dangerous areas. It is a headache, and a lot of paperwork. Why me… but I love it, and I am learning so much. I work with so many different types of people, and we have to know how to treat each of them the right way. I have truly found out the importance of prayer, and asking the Lord for help in all that I do, without Him I would be so lost, and so lonely. I feel His spirit and love so much, and I feel Him guiding me in each step that I take. There are so many stories that I have of experiences of being in the right place at the right time, and how the Lord lead me to so many families to baptize. It is nuts the miracles that happen day in and day out. I think that my home coming is just going to be stories, it will be exciting.
This next Monday we have our zone conferences, and I have to present so many trainings, and doctrinal talks…I am a little nervous. I wish that I was more of a public speaker, and didn’t have fear of talking in front of people. It will work out fine though. I am doing it all on lap tops, and on slide shows and such, I am sure that the president will love it.
We had another couple baptisms this last week, a couple men that we had been teaching. They will be ordained to the priesthood this next Sunday, and will be passing the sacrament. It is so awesome to see peoples lives change so much, and to see their priorities change. I love the gospel. It is so weird to me that I am a missionary, its crazy. The ward depends so much on us. If we are not their to give leadership trainings and stuff the ward totally stops. It is nuts to work so much within the church, and the leadership positions. I know that I am being prepared for times later in life for other callings.
I love you all, and think of you often. I am so busy, and I feel so lonely but so comforted at the same time. The mission is like that. I have never had so many ups but also so many downs. I have never been so excited but at the same time so disappointed. I have never been so upset, but cried so much. I have never been so under qualified, but had so much responsibility. I am here though, and I am learning. The Lord is by my side, and His angels on my right hand and on my left. I love this gospel; my only desire is to live it, and to have a family based upon its principle. Families can be together forever. Love you all, hugs, and kissesElder Gatten**

2 comments:

Jason and Amy Smith said...

We love reading Spikes letters... thanks for sharing them with us all. They are so spiritually uplifting, and it seems some days they are all I get! Hope all is well with the Gattens. Love you all.

Dave and Jen said...

I have so much enjoyed reading Spikes letters. He has learned and grown so much in the time he has been there. We are so proud of him. He is such a spiritually giant. I know he has touched so many people lives. Our prayers are with him. Thank you so much for sharing your letters with us.

mom