Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Exciting News from the Manaus Mission

I am so excited to have the chance to write you guys a little bit of whats going on with me and the mission. From week to week things change here so much. Not only the mission, callings, responsibilies, but also people, lives, and destinies! I am exausted if you guys were wondering, responsibility really weighs on the mind at times, and the perfectionisim that is in me does not help one bit! The Missão Brasil Manaus has expanded its boarders as of two weeks ago. When I arrived in the mission it consisted of two states, Amazonas and Roraima, but now it has gained two more states, Acre and Rondonia. These two states are situated in the central part of Brazil, and are boarder states with Argentina, and Peru. These states were part of the Cuiabá mission, but after a long debate with President Soares from the Area Presidency they are adding these states to the Manaus mission. It is a great opportunity for the mission to grow, not only geographically, but also member wise. The potential is great, and the hopes of all are very high!
Here in the Amazon the Rio Branco and the Amazon river, Rio Solimões, are totally at flood stages. The river has flooded to the point of breaking all recorded high water marks. The river is literally in the city. There are thousands of sand bags, and helpers in the center of the city which is situated parallel to the rivers. We have not had the chance to go and help with the situation, because President Jayme has not recieved authorization from the Area Presidency. It is crazy, it is all the people are talking about here in the city. The last high water mark was set in 1953. We will see how things work out here in the next couple of weeks, because we are in the summer season now so the river should start to dry up.
I had the chance to converse with the new missionaries from the Cuiabá mission who now are part our mission, they are super cool. They flew up here from Brasilia on Monday for a training and Conference meeting with president where I had to give a training on Baptisimal records, and the church reference system which is based in Salt Lake City. It was a great opportunity to learn and grow togeather, and to feel the spirit. It is nuts to me how much the mission spends on plane tickets, bus tickets, boat rides, and bush plane transfers...it is so much, It is so important to stay organized, and authorization for everything that is done in the mission is mandatory. Anyway, in the conference one of the assistents to the president gave a training on the Sacredness of our mortal life, and time. It was super spiritual, and the spirit was so strong. He had the opportunity to call and talk with President Wood, our stake president, and get a letter from him. He wrote a letter encouraging me, and sharing his testimony with me. President Jayme asked me to read it in front of the whole leadership of the mission which was super hard. You guys know that I get emotional, but it was a sweet experience. President said that when we are dedicated servants of the lord like me, and truly search to help others for love, we are blessed mortially and eternally. It was a really humbling experience for me, I love my president.
We had a couple baptisms this last week of families, and a couple other women. It was really sweet to see them so happy and anxious to be baptized, and to make this covenant with the Lord. We took so many pictures, and I will remember these people forever. There are people who pass in your lives that do not go alone, they leave a little bit of them with you, and you with them. It is interesting to think of life that way, that each of us are a product of others influences. That is why it is so important to hold strong to the iron rod, and to keep in mind at all times what you really want, your goals. After the baptisms we had a sweet activity. The dessert night was a big hit, and there were at least a hundred people there. We had the opportunity of bearing our testimonies, and to serve the people. It turned into a special night, where I grew as a individual and we grew as a ward. I feel like I have helped this ward so much, their priorities, and goals have changed so much. I know that as we serve for love and not for fame we truly recieve our Heavenly Fathers blessings. We will be baptizing a couple of men this week, and they will be ordained to the priesthood on Sunday.
I love this work, I love these people.My heart has been softened these last couple weeks, and the spirit has had the opportunity to touch me in ways that it never has in my life. I feel a mighty change in my life, and in the understanding I have of spiritual things. I can look into peoples hearts, and I am lead by the spirit, litereally, in helping these people with there problems. Heavenly Father loves me, and is truly on my right hand, he is there to bear me up, and to show me the way. His angels are by my side guiding me, and I know that he hears my prayers. I know that Christ is my Savior, and I know the atonement is real. I am eternally grateful for my life, who I am, and the testimony I have. I have no doubt whatsoever in my mind that God lives. He is watching over us, and Christ is the Master, the Great Pastor, we are his sheep.With love, Elder Gatten

No comments:

mom